Thursday, October 31, 2013

Unit Plan Canvas

     It was not easy creating my canvas for the unit of the Changing Ideologies of Race, Culture, and Demographics. I thought it was important to create a unit dedicated to these kinds of topics because they can be overlooked when an overwhelming amount of historical information is incorporated into the lessons. This unit will allow students to define race, culture, and demographics, know the differences between each, and how they have been changing society throughout history. The video on my canvas, "Lakewood is Changing," is from the lesson plan that I used in Interactivity #3 and is what helped me create this unit. As a summative assessment for the end of this lesson plan, I would have my students create a video about their community and how the demographics and attitudes towards different races and cultures are changing. By doing a video like this, students can take what they learn from the unit and use it to address their own community so it becomes more relatable.    
     In my canvas I included images that would show the different aspects of race and culture and that would be powerful for someone to view. A couple of images showed the differences in race, the other showed many people representing different cultures around the world, and the final two showed different ways to graph demographics. Along with the images, extra sources were included that discussed the definitions of the key terms of the unit and examples of discrimination. I feel this will be a successful unit for a social studies class since it can teach students about important historical characters and events, while also teaching them the true meanings behind race, culture, and demographics and how they influence society.  
http://www.play.annenberginnovationlab.org/play2.0/challenge.php?idChallenge=2216&mode=view

1 comment:

  1. Keri,

    I really, really like this lesson plan because it is very relevant to the world around us right now. I could not think of anything more applicable to connecting social studies to the outside world. Your summative assessment is sound, and would really make use to the skills and themes learned in the lesson. Nice Work.

    ReplyDelete