Sunday, November 17, 2013

Collaboration Canvas

I really enjoyed remixing the unit on clay animation with a social studies unit. Usually, social studies is not seen as a creative subject area because of the factual information, lectures, and writing. I thought it would be a good idea to take a unit plan that would not normally fit into a social studies classroom. As soon as I saw the clay animation last week when commenting through classmates canvas', I knew that I would be able to take this unit and collaborate it with a social studies unit. I thought it would be interesting to have students create an important part of the Civil War through a clay animated video. I thought of this collaboration as more of a summative assessment where students would have to use the skills they learned in art class and the information they used in the history class. Some examples that students could use would be any battle involved in the war, one of Lincoln's speeches, the lifestyle in the North vs. the South, etc. With this collaboration, students will be able to use creativity to show their understanding of the Civil War.
I did not remove anything from the original unit. I added the Civil War aspect to the unit to collaborate the social studies class. I thought that it was important to keep the basis of the original unit so students would know how to create clay animation. I really hope one day I can do a unit like this so my students can understand that creative classes can be collaborated with more traditional classes.
http://www.play.annenberginnovationlab.org/play2.0/challenge.php?idChallenge=2693&mode=view#network6



No comments:

Post a Comment