Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Accessing Databases for Primary Sources

When I was in my high school social studies classes I was never exposed to primary sources and the importance of these types of sources. When I came to college and began studying history, I was exposed to so many different databases that provide primary sources that would be helpful to write papers and develop a thesis for these papers. For example, Montclair State provides databases like the New York Times and New York Times historical so students can have access to historical and recent newspaper articles. This allows me as a history major to find articles throughout history from the New York-New Jersey areas. It was unfortunate that I was not able to use databases like these in high school because it can make a historical topic so much more interesting. By being able to see the actual article or document, students can get a better idea of the time period through the language and possible pictures that may be available. I think it would be very important to expose my students to these kind of databases so they can have access to primary sources.
As a future Social Studies teacher I feel that it is necessary for students to learn how to use databases like the ones I have used throughout my education. Thinking back to the remixed canvas' that we recently just did, I think it would be really useful to collaborate with a technology/computer teacher to develop a unit that allows students to work with databases but in reference to finding historical primary sources. When thinking about a unit that would be useful, I would assign my students activities throughout the unit asking them to work with the databases to find specific information that could only be found through a primary source. At the end of the unit as a summative assessment, I would have my students write a paper that could be based on any historical topic they found interesting, but they would be required to use a certain amount of primary sources that they got through using the databases. This would allow the students to show both their understanding of the historical topic and how successfully they can use the databases and primary sources.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Keri,
    I could not agree more with this post. When I was in high school, the only exposure to primary sources I got was through DBQ's (document based questions), and even then, they were always just reproductions of articles, journal entries, etc. I have really enjoyed sifting through the NYT archives while research this past semester. Even when I'm not doing research, I like looking through topics I find interesting. I really love your idea of collaborating with a computer class, which would be essential to learning how to properly navigate a database. So many students are use to using google and getting thousands of search results, but using a database is more particular. You have to understand subject headings, keywords, authors, journals, etc. Even though we have curricular demands to meet as educators, I think it would be a good idea to take a week to do a lesson like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I knew how to access databases in high school. The only database available to us was EBSCOHost and I never knew how to really use it.
    After coming to university and actually learning how to properly utilize our online databases, I can't tell you how many time I've used JSTOR and The NYT to find articles dated back to the 50's and 60's. Although libraries are great, they often times don't carry everything, especially in a high school setting where sources can be limited. In today's day and age, having access to and learning how to properly use online databases (as well as having access to the library) makes research much easier and will definitely prepare students for higher education.

    ReplyDelete